Today is a big day! My sweet 3rd born is turning 13. It really does seem like it’s been a blink of an eye that he has gone from my chubby little happy baby to a long and lean, confident and content young man.
I should have known Dillon would be super easy going from the beginning. I was finally induced after waiting 5 days past my due date and even then he took a good 9 hours before making an entrance. The cord was wrapped around his neck and he really took his time deciding to take that first breath. Dillon has not been in a hurry about anything from that day forward.
Dillon is an Irish surname which means loyal and true or faithful. Isn’t it so crazy when the meaning of a child’s name ends up fitting him to a T? Dillon definitely shows loyalty to his friends and family and I know he is faithful with his intentions and words. One of the reasons we picked his name was I didn’t feel it could be shortened but in no time at all he became Dill pickle and it totally stuck.
When Dillon was born my Bigs were 11 and 8 and they were both just tickled to death about their new baby brother. They both rushed to hold him first thing every day when they arrived home from school. They became his protector and care giver almost as much as I was. I really think there has never been any instance in Dillon’s life in which he has felt discontented at all because he was so surrounded by love. I also think this is why he is so well rounded and never meets a stranger.
Thirteen is such a big, big year. Is he a kid or a young man? Does he play with toys or choose more mature activities? Is he old enough to be interested in girls or still too shy? I love my time with him in the mornings after we drop his sister off at school and it’s just the two of us. It may only be a mile but it gives me a chance to connect one on one with this kid who seems to literally be growing taller over night some days. I’m able to ask a little about what is going on or probe for information like whether he is holding hands with his girlfriend…what?!! As a mom you always just have to know if you ask a question you need to be prepared for the answer! Dillon is very private like his dad so I typically have to ask leading questions to make sure we are connecting.
As he moves into these crazy teen years my hope is that he continues to love the Lord and turn to Him for guidance as he works to navigate life and succeed at attaining the goals he sets. I want to help lead him and encourage him to treat women with respect and to love others even when it’s hard. I also hope that I’m able to let go when needed to allow him to become his own person apart from me and his dad. Hopefully his smile will stay genuine and sweet and his heart kind despite all the negative in this world.
This year he will outgrow me in height. He is only 1/4 inch shorter than me right now so I know any day now he’s going to walk in and physically look down at me. I can only hope that I can continue to a be a mom he can look up to and turn too.
- handsome…oh my goodness this kid just keeps getting cuter every day
- athletic and excelling at football, basketball and baseball
- smart (when applying himself) making all A’s this past 6 weeks!
- responsible for himself and his actions
- witty….always cracking me up with his sarcastic comments
- a mommas boy….even though he would dispute this while holding his rifle
- a hunter of deer, ducks and dove
- a fisherman any chance he gets even if it is just with a stick and string in our neighborhood creek
- a picky eater but this year he has added chicken fried steak, ribs, chicken fajitas, fried shrimp and bacon wrapped dove to the chicken strips, pizza, pb&j and bacon by the pound
- a great brother both big and little….he thinks his big sis hung the moon and always feels like such a grown up when he gets to hang with her. He is so supportive and proud of his big brother and is constantly taking the initiative on his own to follow him in news articles. Most days it would not be evident but he loves his little sis so much too. On the days I find him snuggled on the couch watching tv with her while letting her rub his ear (he has great fat ear lobes perfect for rubbing!) I can tell he is going to be there to look out for her and guide her.
- a loving son who can warm my heart with his smile
- one of a kind….I know we all are but I’m so glad God entrusted this one to me!