Welcome today to the first October Spiel the Beans! The holidays will be here before we know it and between all things pumpkin, halloween candy and Thanksgiving the turkey isn’t the only thing in danger of fattening up. Katy and I are sharing our tips for keeping fitness at the forefront through the holidays while still enjoying all the festivities. We really hope you will all share your tips as well.
The links in this post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on the link(s) and purchase an item (at no additional cost to you), I may earn a small commission. Thank you for helping to support me and The Queen in Between blog
This time of year when things cool off a bit and we begin adding layers and leggings do in fact become pants some days, it is really easy to throw a healthy lifestyle out the window and indulge at every opportunity. I am currently still paying for living with little to no restrictions all summer and unless I take some action I could definitely see myself add another 10 pounds before spring. Here are few things I’m doing to help off set the extra calories I may consume!
1. Fitness Tracker – I upgraded to a Fitbit Blaze over the summer after winning one through my office. With the latest upgrade I’ve been able to not only set my number of steps but now receive a little prompt to let me know how many steps I have left within the hour to hit 250. I’m not super competitive anymore with other people but I will totally compete with myself. I have been making sure to get up and walk the floor I work on multiple times per day and am working on averaging 7K steps per day. I’d love to hit 10K every single day but 7K seems to be more manageable. I have also been able to set the number of workouts I plan to log each week and made it clear to a few friends at the gym I need some accountability.
2. Drink plenty of water – My goal is to drink 64oz of water every single day. I am not counting coffee or tea but do count my spark. According to Web MD, however, it is now believed the diuretic effects of coffee and tea to not discount the benefit of the water. I have been doing whatever I can to be sure to chug the water and also started logging water in the Fitbit. Not only does this make me feel less bloated, which for me also makes me less likely to binge eat, it has also helped so much with my skin during this drier time of year.
3. 80/20 Rule – By eating healthy 80% of the time, I don’t feel nearly as guilty about a cheat meal for a special occasion. I have been logging all my food, even the bad food, and really what I have found is by not restricting myself I’m more likely to make better choices and save the splurge for truly special occasions.
4. Get Plenty of Sleep – This time of year more than any other I am so guilty of staying up really late and burning the midnight oil. If I’m working out at 5:30am I really need to be heading to bed at a decent time or by the end of the week I’m toast and more than likely going to sleep right through my workout. This has been another one of my fave features of the Fitbit! I set my sleep time and have not been receiving a little prompt 30 minutes before bedtime and mentally it has made me take note and at least head that direction.
5. Find a Buddy – Whether it is a friend or a family member, you are less likely to skip a workout if you are meeting someone else. The weather has cooled off enough so taking that walk with the family after dinner is also an option. This time of year, in Texas at least, there are tons of 5ks to choose from and many are super family friendly. Get the kids excited about a turkey trot and log some bonding time along with your fitness.
I began using a bullet journal the last week of September and it is really helping me to stay accountable each day by using a habit tracker. Even simple things such as washing my face every night really helps me feel more positive about myself and I’m always more likely to make good choices when I’m feeling my best.
So what are your tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle during the holiday season? We are all ears and I cannot wait to learn from others! Be sure to mark your calendars for October 25th when we share a Haunted Tale or just something you have done that is scary. I still can’t believe mine!
Please place a link back to this link-up in either your post or on your party page so that others can link up too. It’s a party, try to visit at least 2 other posts and show them some love! This is the fun part! Be inspired, inspire someone else – don’t just link and run!
We would love, love, love for you to follow us on some form of social media!