Isn’t it crazy how one small space can really work against you when it doesn’t flow well? Every day I spend way more time than necessary deciding what to wear. My closet is currently needing some love in a bad way and I’m hoping to instill a little help from my readers to hold me accountable as I recreate this space in 28 days.
Identify underlying issues creating the current state
- Too much to choose from
- Inability to let go of items I spent $$$ on
- Saving items I love but do not fit “just in case”
- I might need that (insert item of choice) for a special event or style challenge one day
- Adding trendy items instead of classic pieces
Steps for improving
- Remove all items not belonging in the closet. Currently there are suitcases, throw pillows, my camera equipment and a box full of a few keepsakes from each of my children. All are combining to take up some very valuable vertical space which could be used more efficiently storing out of season clothing, purses and shoes.
- Remove everything from the closet and evaluate space layout.
- Consider adding shelving about the built in dressers
- Don’t stop with my side of the closet! Buy slim line hangars for the hubs clothes.
- Space saving solutions for dresser drawers which are super deep.
Deciding what stays
- Evaluate each piece for stains and other flaws and make and immediate decision to toss. This seems like simple logic but I have seriously been known to keep items having a stain or a hole in a basket with the dream of “fixing” it like new.
- Identify those no brainer pieces to keep; love the way I feel when I wear them, on trend, excellent condition.
- Set aside pieces in good condition which also still fit but have been hanging out for ages; like seriously I have some pieces I know were purchased almost 10 years ago. This is where you guys are going to come in to help me make some decisions on what to toss and what to keep!
- Immediately bag and donate anything I do not feel absolutely certain I would ever love NO MATTER HOW MUCH I PAID FOR IT
Here are a few before pictures.
One last note, I would love nothing more than to call the Container Store police and have them take all my money to fix this. However, we know this is not our forever home so justifying a huge expense in my closet is just not in the cards right now. I would like to find some affordable solutions but also want to be absolutely sold it is the best new layout.
So what do you guys think? Are you up for the challenge? Each week I will choose a day to post a series of outfits here on the blog but will also be posting the outfits as I wear them on Instastories. All will come complete with a closet confessional to give you all the scoop on the items I’m questioning, how long they have been around and why I think I should or should not keep them. Then I will post a little poll and you guys can vote on whether I should toss it or keep it!
Any votes on how happy my husband is going to be to help with this project?!! Ready…set…go!