It's easy in this world we live in to believe giving of yourself is the most important while forgetting you too have limits. When I was younger taking time away from my family left me feeling so guilty. Even though I knew 100% that my soul needed some time away I would still worry about the "consequences". In truth it is still my nature to complete everyone's laundry before I head out for a weekend away and or leaving a homemade dinner on the stove for my man if I'm headed for a girls night out. I'd like to believe it's out of love but I'm almost positive it's the guilt that leads me to do it.
The difference today is I know how far having some me time goes to refuel my heart and it makes me a better wife and mom. While I'm always so exited to see my family when I return home, I make sure to leave my wife and mom role at the door when I leave and work on remembering who I really am because, darn it, that still matters so much to my well being as well as theirs.
Now, taking time for yourself doesn't necessarily just mean being by yourself. There are many hours I may be alone but I have not taken care to be sure it is truly "me time". It's easy to get caught up doing laundry or picking up the house during instead of refueling. To really fill myself up it's necessary to remove the distractions Here are some of my favorite ways to have "me time".
- Find a special spot to enjoy your quiet time. I love sitting in my big chair in the quiet hours of morning reading. Typically I reserve this reading for something inspirational. Right now this is reserved for the early hours of morning snuggled in bed but when the weather is nice I love to be outside.
- Exercise is like a drug for me. Taking the time to hit the gym or go for a long walk gives me time to clear my head.
- Take a few days off. Being a mom is hard work and sometimes you deserve a few days off! Maybe you head out of town for a weekend of relaxation and girl talk with some friends or maybe you ship off the kids to grandmas when your husband is off hunting. Regardless the purpose is to set aside those daily task that can weigh you down and focus on remembering the things you love and cherish.
- Book a massage or a facial and soak it up.
- Attend a women's retreat and be inspired by the stories others have to share. I spent the past weekend at the Thrive Creative Conference and was exhausted by the end of the day with a head full of inspiration. So many women with incredible stories! Let their stories influence you and inspire you to be more and dream more in your every day life.
- Make a date with yourself! In 2016 I started the year scheduling a date night with myself. One day a week for two hours I left my house and did whatever I wanted to do. Sometimes it meant browsing the aisles at Target and other times I just sat at Starbucks and enjoyed a coffee while dumping all my thoughts into a notebook. Knowing I had that "me time" scheduled was something to look forward to each week.
- Have a girls night out with your besties when you can truly feel free to "dump" the mess and be yourself.
We all have those different stages in life when this is harder! Sometimes you may have to walk away with laundry overflowing and dishes piled in the sink. Some nights you have to stay up after every one else is in bed and watch This is Us and cry your eyes out because darn it you will be filled back up!! (Seriously though with this show!!)
When I was a young wife and mom I did not take time for myself and in all honesty I think I forgot who I really was. Don't let that happen! You want to know who you really are; what you love and long for and the dreams you still have. Knowing who you are makes you more capable of showing love to others and being able to be fully present when you are with others.
So what are your favorite ways to have me time?!
Thanks to The Blended Blog for hosting these little Nuggets for the New Year!